I have been thinking about all the things I want to get done this Ramadan and I honestly haven’t reached one specific goal.
So I stumbled upon this amazing video and I thought hey why not get rid of one weakness of mine this Ramadan in the hopes to get rid of it completely inshaa’Allah.
We all have a variety of weaknesses which make us succumb to our desires, right?
Here are a few ideas for you to pick one weakness and nip it off the root this Ramadan inshaa’Allah and therefore pick a deed that you want to do in Ramadan and want to continue forever afterwards inshaa’Allah:
– Is food your weakness? Of course, you’d be fasting all day so that takes care of most part of your desire to eat. However, what about Iftaar time? Ensure that you eat light energy-boosting foods in appropriate quantities inshaa’Allah. With 30 days of Ramadan, if you stick to this habit, inshaa’Allah you would’ve taken care of this weakness.
- “…and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allâh) likes not Al-Musrifûn (those who waste by extravagance).” [Surah al ‘Araaf, 7:31]
- Imam Ahmad recorded that Al-Miqdam bin Ma`dikarib Al-Kindi said that he heard the Messenger of Allah saying: ‘The Son of Adam will not fill a pot worse for himself than his stomach. It is enough for the Son of Adam to eat a few bites that strengthens his spine. If he likes to have more, then let him fill a third with food, a third with drink and leave a third for his breathing.’ [An-Nasa’i and At-Tirmidhi collected this Hadith, At-Tirmidhi said, “Hasan” or “Hasan Sahih” according to another manuscript.]
- Ibn Jarir said that Muhammad bin `Abdul-A`la narrated to us that Muhammad bin Thawr narrated to us from Ma`mar from Ibn Tawus from his father who said that Ibn `Abbas said, “Allah has allowed eating and drinking, as long as it does not contain extravagance or arrogance.”
– Is wealth your weakness? Make Sadaqah your ‘consistent’ deed.
- “Do not hold back altogether out of miserliness and render yourself blame worthy, nor spend without restraint and exhaust your wealth, thus becoming yourself destitute.”[Qur’aan 17:29]
- “Who are neither extravagant nor miserly in their spending, but keep a just balance between the two extremes.” [Qur’aan 25:67]
– Is sleep your weakness? Night prayer, either Qiyaam al Layl (general term for night prayer which can be offered in any part of the night) or Tahajjud(night prayer offered after sleeping and then waking up). Just DO it inshaa’Allah.
- Verily, your Lord knows that you do stand (to pray at (also night) a little less than two-thirds of the night, or half the night, or a third of the night, and a party of those with you, And Allâh measures the night and the day. He knows that you are unable to pray the whole night, so He has turned to you (in mercy). So, recite you of the Qur’ân as much as may be easy for you. He knows that there will be some among you sick, others travelling through the land, seeking of Allâh’s Bounty; yet others fighting in Allâh’s Cause. So recite as much of the Qur’ân as may be easy (for you), and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât) and give Zakât, and lend to Allâh a goodly loan, And whatever good you send before you for yourselves, (i.e. Nawâfil non-obligatory acts of worship: prayers, charity, fasting, Hajj and ‘Umrah), you will certainly find it with Allâh, better and greater in reward. And seek Forgiveness of Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.[Surah al Muzzamil, 73:20]
– Is talking a lot your weakness? Just talk when’s beneficial and what’s beneficial!
- The Prophet, peace upon him, said, “All of the speech of the Child of Adam will be held against him, it will not be in his favor; except commanding good, forbidding wrong, or the remembrance of Allah.” [Tirmidhi, #241]
- The Prophet, peace upon him, mentioned, “Do not speak excessively in other than the remembrance of Allah, for verily excessive speech in other than the remembrance of Allah hardens the heart, and the heart most distanced from Allah is the hard heart.” [Tirmidhi, #2411]
A human is weak and so nobody is invincible. The real issue is when these weaknesses come in the way of our duties towards Allah SWT and His Creations including ourselves at times. These weaknesses become harmful to the point of destruction for most of us. We are so ignorant of our states that we don’t even realize we’re being cruel to ourselves.
We inflict harm to:
- our senses and think-tank: by feeding it useless garbage such as sitcoms, TV shows, movies, music, trashy literature, useless trivia, not lowering gaze (for both men and women)
- our flesh and bones: by eating unhealthy food, having a lazy attitude towards life(falling short of physical ritualistic ‘Ibadaat), unhygienic lifestyle.
- our hearts: by accumulating the black dots of sins on our hearts in very creative ways such as not being kind to those close to us (such as parents,siblings,spouses,relatives) and showing the world our ‘good’ side. Letting hypocrisy nestle in our hearts without us realizing and wasting away His Blessings upon us every single day non-stop. Also by letting our tongues lose when we’re joking, exaggerating and back-biting when narrating incidents, calling names and mimicking people’s voices and so on.
- our faculty of intelligence and creativity: by not developing it and using it for issues that are either haraam or issues that are none of our business.
Let’s replace the harms and plan to be merciful to:
- our senses and think-tank: by feeding it meanings of the verses of the Quraan, good lectures and beneficial books, engaging and listening to clean conversations that stimulate our thinking skills.
- our flesh and bones: by eating healthy food in moderation, perform our ‘Ibadaat energetically, do our chores ourselves like Rasulalah SAW, keep the body fit, take care of our private physical matters and hygiene
- our hearts: by being generous in forgiving others, always try hard not to be suspicious about others intentions, develop humility and conquer the ego,speak good or remain silent.
- our faculty of intelligence and creativity: by sharpening our memorization of Quraan, ahadith and Seerah facts. Also, by educating ourselves and developing ourselves in our skill-set whether it’s at work-place as professional development or attending leadership/language camps and filling up our time with activities which add fragrance to our brains inshaa’Allah.
Let us be in charge of ourselves and pick one area where we want to work on. Or you could pick one thing from each of the 4 areas above. Let’s for once be Kings and Queens of ourselves! One deed that you pick will make you more in control of yourself as a human. Just one deed done consistently! Who knows that this one small step of transforming your weakness to strength may have a domino-effect on all other your weaknesses and makes you a stronger Muslim in the face of waswasa and temptations?
Narrated ‘Aishah (radiallahu anhaa): The Prophet came in when a woman was sitting beside me. He asked me, “Who is she?” I said: “She is the one whose performance of Salat (prayer) has become the talk of the town.” Addressing her, he (peace be upon him) said, (What is this!) You are required to take upon yourselves only what you can carry out easily. By Allah, Allah does not withhold His Mercy and forgiveness of you until you neglect and give up (good works). Allah likes the deeds best which a worshipper can carry out constantly.“ [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
After you pick a goal, research on all the Islamic literature available to help yourself prepare to change forever starting this Ramadan inshaa’Allah! Don’t forget:
And Allah SWT knows best.